Monday, July 14, 2008

Vegan Tofu Parmesan


Through baked tofu, my chains are broken. The curd shall free me.

The variations on baked tofu are endless: marinades, spice rubs, or breading. Just do what you will to the tofu, arrange on a baking sheet or glass pan, and cook for 20 minutes at 400 degrees F. I haven't found a variation of this basic recipe that doesn't work yet, so it would seem the sky's the limit!

This variation of baked tofu is the one I make the most often. The pine nuts give it an Italian edge, but replacing the pine nuts with an equal measure of breadcrumbs would be a less expensive, and less time consuming variation.


This recipe, I might note, is omnivore approved (by my brother and sister).


Marinade:

1/3 C sherry

2/3 C olive oil

juice from 1/2 a lemon

1 T minced onion

1 T minced garlic

1 T dried basil


Breading:

1/2 C raw pine nuts

1/2 C bread crumbs

1 T dried basil

1 t garlic powder


Press extra firm tofu, and cut into 8 slices. Combine marinade ingredients in shallow dish, and marinade tofu for 1 hour, flipping half way through.

Meanwhile, toast pine nuts in just a little bit of olive oil until they just begin to darken. Grind nuts in a coffee grinder or food processor until nuts reach the consistency of parmesan cheese. Combine breading ingredients with a fork, breaking up clumps. Pack breading onto both sides of each tofu slice, and place on a cookie sheet. Cook for 20 min at 400 degrees F. Taddaaa!


We had ours on top of pasta and tomato sauce with Zucchini and spinach.


2 comments:

Bianca said...

Pine nuts are the bestest! Too bad they're so pricey. But every time I suck it up and buy them, I don't regret it (just bought some for the VCon moussaka Monday night actually). I'll have to give this a try too. Sounds delicious!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Oh my goodness, that looks so delicious! I really need to stop being lazy and make this!