Monday, July 14, 2008

Asian tofu Salad

I adapted this recipe from one of my (non-vegan) childhood favorites, so this is really a collaborative effort between me and my mom. The dressing is hers but the tofu and seasoning are mine (plus, I use about twice the peanuts to replace the crispy noodles she would use). It's a hit when I bring it to potlucks, or for lunch or dinner on a hot summer day.

Asian tofu salad

  • ~2 tablespoons margarine/oil
  • 1 brick tofu, drained and diced
  • ~1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • ~1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • wok oil for cooking
  • ~2 tablespoons sesame seed
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon sesame oil
  • ~1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • ~1 teaspoon crushed dried red pepper flakes
  • ~1 cup dry roasted peanuts
  • 3-4 medium green onions, sliced
  • 1 bag (16 ounces) coleslaw mix

Combine melted margarine, ginger and garlic powder. coat tofu with mixture and sesame seeds. Heat a small amount of wok oil, add tofu mixture and cook on high until golden brown, stirring often.

Mix sugar, vinegar, oil, and pepper in large bowl. Add tofu mixture and remaining ingredients; toss.

No comments: